I can't decide if today was really long, or way too short. Time seems to have then effect sometimes. It is full of tricks and illusions that make you wonder things like, "How long was I asleep," or "It's already over?!" I found out a few days ago that June is the official "birth month" of AIDS. This wicked disease turns 30 this month. 30! That doesn't sound very old, but when put into perspective... It's not as young as you think. Today's medicine is so advanced it really blows my mind when I think about the crazy things they have accomplished. Improved methods for surgeries that were potentially dangerous in the past, having a better understanding of how to help someone rid of the microscopic killer that is destroying their body, and even knocking out many vicious, life claiming diseases all together. With HIV/AIDS there is no cure. It is easier to keep people alive longer these days, but it is such a complicated disease that any person who has it is promised death by it. It is like the perfect virus. The doctors come up with one drug, and it mutates to help it avoid the drug and stay alive. It is impossible to create just one drug because it changes and gets stronger with every new person it infects. This brings me to what inspires me...
Causes
Even though we are not all as rich as Magic Johnson and have the best medicine money can offer, there are causes out there fighting to help make life better for those with illness. I'm not just talking about HIV/AIDS though. The American Cancer Society, Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, The National Marrow Donor Program, and Living Water International are all amazing causes that will never give up hope. They raise money and awareness to help create a better future. Every time I eat Yoplait and the lid is pink I save it to send in. I play games on Free Rice to help send food to hungry children in other countries. Reading the stories of others and seeing what I can do to help is inspiring because it bring hope into a place that fosters so many hopeless and broken soles. Even though the cure for HIV/AIDS seems to be so far away, researchers have found that children born via C section to mother who have the disease are born free of the virus. There is a new goal of having every child born AIDS free by 2015. Tell me that doesn't get you Inspi(red) too.

No comments:
Post a Comment