Whale Watching

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stuck in a Rut

Before Luke drove home after the wedding I found a broken pot hiding under a tree in his back yard. Well... I took it in hopes of fixing it and giving it new life. A few days ago I remembered it and pulled the plastic bag of ceramic bits out along with some super glue. This is what I had before.
And this is the after. The pot is sitting upside down because that was the easiest way to fit the pieces together, and the glue was still drying.
Unfortunately, either I missed 2 pieces that were hiding in the dirt, or they were gone. So now the pot is incomplete and I don't know what to do with it.
What a bummer. I was so excited about the design, and as I was fitting all the bits together it dawned on me that something wasn't right. Any ideas on what to do with it?
Last week I cooked ropa vieja on Monday, Grandma Squire's potato soup recipe on Tuesday, and a Campbell's recipe for herb roasted chicken with vegetables. They were all easy enough to make and turned out pretty good. Yesterday (Monday) I decided to make Aunt Margie's goulash, and while it ended up tasty, I had a terrible time making it. It was just one of those times where everything went wrong. I don't know what started it, but my brain was so frazzled that darling husband had to swoop in for the rescue. It is honestly a very easy recipe. I just had a few loose screws when I started.
The past week before bed Luke reads Harry Potter (he is reading the entire series and is on book 2 now), and I craft in some form or fashion. Last night as I was folding magazine pages (to make one of those bowls) I announced, "I need a break." Luke stopped reading and asked, "From what?" With certainty I replied, "ATCs." He looked shocked! I love ATCs, but it is so hard for me lately to work on them. I hate to admit it, but I think I might be burning out. I am in a creative rut and just thinking about forcing myself to sit down and make one makes me resent it even more. I'm finishing out the swaps that partners have been assigned, and I think I'm calling it quits. BUT! Only until I'm out of my rut though. I'll stick to folding magazine pages until I find my groove again.
I'm going to keep posting my ATCs that I've made though. Here is one I made for a Bob Marley Lyrics swap.

1 comment:

momo said...

well, when i saw the broken pot and your beginning discussion, i thought you were going to create something new with the pieces or use it for collage somehow. break it again and turn it in to something new. i rarely comment, because i get your messages on e-mail, so i never go online to comment. love your posts.