For those of you who do not know, our family dog, Cookie, is a trooper! When I was in elementary school she was hit by a car and the doctors said she had 20% chance to live. My parents decided to put her down because the surgery needed wasn't a sure thing because her chances were so slim. The vet however wanted to give it a try anyways and performed the surgery. The next day she called my mom and told her that it was successful, and we only had to pay the amount of what it would be to put her down simply because it was experimental. The veterinarians at the clinic called her the miracle dog. Now I'm a Jr in college and my mom called my Monday to tell me that Cookie had a tumor on her spleen. "The vet will go in tomorrow to see if it has affected any other organs, but the blood work looks like everything else is unharmed." Yesterday my mom called me again to tell me that Cookie is doing well and that she gets to go home in a few days. The five pound tumor was completely tangled up with her spleen, but hadn't moved on to anything else. Both were cut out, and she has at least one more year of healthy living. The vet said it was lucky that the surgery happened when it did because part of the tumor had ruptured and her diaphragm was willing up with blood. The miracle dog was at it again. The strange thing though was what else the vet found while during surgery. Cookie only had one kidney, and the other one was nowhere to be found. After a bit of looking around she found a balloon like mass filled with liquid. It had no kidney tissue whatsoever, and obviously wasn't in the place a kidney should be. After determining that a bit of the extracted liquid was urine the vet decided to take the "non kidney" pee balloon out. Curiouser and curiouser. So now Cookie has bed rest for a while... which might be difficult with a dog who loves to be outside all day long.
Speaking of cookies... I bought a box of Trefoils from a girl scout, and they were amazing. Too bad they are gone now. If I get the chance I'm going to get another kind... Samoas or Thin Mints.
Tomorrow I go to the doctor for my second x-ray, and hopefully get the doctor to give me documentation for a medical redshirt. A few people on the team are going to Clemson this weekend for a meet. I will get to tag along to the next meet in Sewanee, TN.
It is time for me to start studying for my test some more. Today I'll leave you with a picture I found via Etsy.com. This one is by HansMyHedgeHog.
It is time for me to start studying for my test some more. Today I'll leave you with a picture I found via Etsy.com. This one is by HansMyHedgeHog.


No comments:
Post a Comment