Whale Watching

Monday, January 10, 2011

First Day of School? How About A Snow Day!!

Watching the forecast yesterday was just too much. The weather channel said it was going to start snowing wildly, and even when the radar said there were enormous snow clouds over us the grass continued to stare us in the face. Walmart was So Busy! I bought stuff for the bean soup recipe that my lovely Granny gave me. I decided that would be a good dinner to help shake off the cold from a long day of going to classes. On the news school were being canceled left and right, but UAH was determined to remain open. They wanted to make sure we weren't going to get some pitiful little flurry that melts by 10 and classes get canceled for nothing. After Walmart we went to Spragins Hall for the Celebration of Life of our late athletic director. All the different sports teams wore matching Polo's or warm-us. The service was nice, and it made me realize that not only are the people going to miss him, but the teams as a whole. He was the one who approved Luke and Passen getting that pole vault pit and setting it behind the bleachers. He was determined to improve all sports at any given chance, and I appreciate him for that. Without him we couldn't have gone to that last minute indoor meet in Anderson where we ran so fast in the 4x400. He helped us (and allowed us) to squeeze it in. I hope our next AD will be just as dedicated.
After the service we went to the room where the boys played Halo. This time though it was Luke, Passen, Will, Ethan, and Aaron. The group just keeps growing! There won't be any place for them to sit if anyone else decides to join. Of course they were glued to the TV so they didn't see me take a picture, and didn't know about it until they checked their Facebook hours later. I really wish I had my camera handy when they realized it had started snowing. All five on the jumped up and ran to the window. All at different levels, looking through the blinds like children waiting for Santa. The only thing that finally got them away from their precious XBOX was the six inches of snow that coated the ground. We all got bundled up and went out to the top level of the parking deck. I got lots of pictures of them building a snow ramp, using different materials to see what slid the best, and throwing snowballs. It was a lot of fun, and my hair was hardened under a layer of snow, but my fingers started to get angry at me as the snow started to melt into my gloves. I went in, and Ethan soon followed. Will and Passen weren't too far behind, but Luke and Aaron were out until 2 am. I'm surprised I'm even awake right now because I sat reading my Real Simple magazine until the final two cows came home. I was amazed that I actually had to trudge back through the snow to get inside. My UGGs served me well because my feet felt great, and I only had one pair of thin socks one. The boys weren't so lucky though... frozen toes, fingers, faces, soaked clothing from sliding and snow angels. Aaron's mop hair was actually frozen in one place because he wasn't wearing a hat. It wasn't until extremely late that UAH grudgingly posted "No classes Monday" on the website. Good thing, or we would have had to walk to classes in this:

It really is amazing, but this warm weathered girl had her fair share last night. I'll just admire from the fifth floor window. Its nice having a view! It is actually still snowing this morning. Luke says it might stick around all week because the temperature is supposed to be below 35 all week. Needless to say, I'm sure they will be back out today. Good thing I'll have bean soup waiting to warm them at supper time. I wanted to go to Michaels today for supplies to work on my ATCs, but I guess I'll have to make due. Time for breakfast, and then more magazine cutting!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Eek! I love snow!! Ichigoshortcake xc