Friday, January 7, 2011
Register Today!
I am considering joining the National Marrow Donor Program's (NMDP) Be the Match registry. I just read three articles in my All You magazine, and I cried through all three. They made me think of Mr. Smith (my amazing high school physics teacher (one of the best teachers I've ever had)) and I realized that this is such a huge thing. Being on that list could mean saving someones life. I might not know them, but think of all the people that do. Think about how you would feel if someone you knew needed a stem cell or marrow transplant, but doctors couldn't find a match for them. It doesn't cost anything to join the registry or to donate. Your body will completely replace your own stem cells or marrow within a month, and most people go home the same day and continue with their regular routine after donating. I'm looking at marrow.org right now on how to join the registry. They send you a kit, you swab your cheek, send it back. Easy peasy. I you come up as a potential match doctors do thorough tests to make sure you are healthy enough to donate, and that you are a perfect match.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment