Whale Watching

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Sorry for not posting in so long. My cork board fell off my desk and yanked my internet cord out of the wall. I plugged it back in, but it didn't want to work. So now I'm using my extra long internet cord that coils at my feet.
To describe the track meet Friday in one word... Long. We left at 7 in the morning in 3 vans. A mad dash was made for CT's van because the other 2 were driven by Coach Cain and Mater. Coach Cain is the worst driver in the world and is socially awkward. We, on the track team, don't really like Mater, a graduated assistant for the CC team. The CC kids creamed into his van. We foreshadowed this when we found out who was driving, so we knew to get there early. The people that came too late were disappointed.
The drive was long and when we finally got there at 3:30 we had to wait till 5 for the meet to start. Watching pole vault and the races was fun as usual, but I just don't understand what kind of person would schedule a meet to start at 5pm! The schedule said the 4x400 would be at 11:30 which is ridiculous. This is indoor! Indoor meets always get behind. We didn't run the 4x400 until 12:30 am!!! Then when we left it took us a while to find food because everything was closed by then. Some went to TacoBell, but we just ran, and that sounded disgusting. Some went to a gas station, but we wanted real food. We looked for a Walmart, but couldn't find one. Eventually we stumbled upon a Waffle House. It wasn't the chain Waffle House. It was a restaurant that had the paper place mats with "mountain talk" terms on it. The food was really good, but I could have just been really hungry.
Not only was it a long day, but the shooting at our school made a few people stress. We were sitting in the stands when CT got a text. She said out loud, "There was a shooting at UAH" and everyone was like What?! It took us forever to get the details. Some kids were worried that it might be their favorite teachers, and when we finally found out who some people were devastated because they were really close to someone that died. It is strange to see it on the tv every time the news comes on. Its like when Virginia Tech happened, but this time its actually us. Someone was talking about the fact that every time Columbine or Virginia Tech are mentioned the first thing people think of is the shooting that happened there. Now people will hear of UAH and think, "Oh, that's where that teacher with a history of violence went nuts and shot up the biology department." What a way to be thought of. People say the incoming freshman class will be really small next year, but it was already going to go down if freshman that live nearby and all sophomores are forced to live on campus. Everyone is opposed to the rule, but because they went and built a really big dorm they have to pay for it somehow.
While warming up for the 4x400 Rebecca avoided us completely. She made a point to stay away from us in the warm up area... which isn't very big. CT handed her the baton and she put it in her bag and kept it until right before the race. She was reluctant to pray with us before. I can't believe she is still acting the way she is. We thought she was improving, but after Leah beat her last week, it has been even worse. Rebecca didn't do that great this weekend either, and if Leah hadn't tripped on another girls foot and fallen so hard, she would have had the school record that Rebecca wanted to get this indoor season. Here is the 4x400 video.


Today is Ash Wednesday and I am still making last second decisions for Lent. Julia is drinking nothing but water. I thought about doing something like that, but I would rather start doing something good this time. I did think about giving up picking... fingers, lips, scabs. It would be really difficult because half the time I'm not even aware I do it, but it worth a shot.
I had a dream a few nights ago that I tried out for a musical. I sang Don't Rain On My Parade and Sanctuary. Unfortunately I my alarm woke me up before I found out if I made it or not. I wish I could be in a musical. I have always wanted to. I can't wait for Glee to start back up in April.
We have practice at the track today... it is going to be 35 degrees and very windy at 12 pm. I'm not excited. This is going to be miserable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed watching your video. It's a real drag when your team puts you so far behind and then hands you the baton. Wishing you the best this weekend! Go get 'em Alex! Karen