Whale Watching

Friday, February 5, 2010

Feeling Good

Yesterday I went to the post office, and when I finished getting a stamp for my letter I said, "Thank you!" He wasn't an actual mailman, but he worked for the postal service, so I'll say that counts.
Yesterday Luke brought me a cup of coffee from McDonalds which was delicious. Unfortunately it made my stomach very angry and I was really sleepy. Coffee and tea have always made me sleepy, which I thought was strange until a few days ago. I read an article that said some people have an allergy to caffeine. I'm not saying I actually have this, but the symptoms were the same. It has the opposite effect and makes a person sleepy instead of more awake. So I have decided to cut out coffee from my diet and limit my chocolate intake. I will have to finish my starbucks cards with the amazingly delicious smoothies that they have.
We got new sweats that I quite like. the top is great and the bottoms would be too if they didn't drag the floor. They are so long that the crotch of the pants are a foot below my actual crotch. They look ridiculous. I will post pictures later.
I have a new obsession.... seals. We were watching a tv show yesterday about them and I fell in love. They are so cute and so funny. I made the background of my computer a picture of 2 seals rubbing noses. I am absolutely obsessed now. I love them.
Even though you can't tell, I just went to the caf and had lunch. I figured I'd finish this up when I got back. I would rap things up now, but something happened that made me really excited. People set up booths is the UC for different things all the time. Today there was a booth set up and at first I just glanced over to see what it was. Then I realized it was for Peace Corps. I changed my direction and went straight there. The recruiter introduced himself and asked, "Are you kind of interested, or..." I said, "Definitely." Then he went into the spiel that he is supposed to tell each person, some of which I already knew, and some that I didn't. I would get a monthly living allowance, free travel to and from the country, medical and dental coverage, a readjustment allowance when I get back home, and much more. There are opportunities to do grad school during or after the 2 years service. I would also receive a one year of noncompetitive eligibility for employment by the federal government. The guy said with what I'm doing I could teach math because I'm an engineer, I could teach classes about protecting and saving the environment, or even deal with water quality. It is a 27 month gig, which is usually 3 months of training and 24 months on the job. There were a bunch of pamphlets on the table and I picked up every single one. One is an overview of the Peace Corps and what they do, one is about Agriculture and Environment, one on Education, and one on Youth & Community Development. There will be an information session here at UAH on Feb 23. I am going. If you can't tell, I am ecstatic about this. I have to go to physics now.

2 comments:

momosito said...

Yeah! Now you even know what kind of work you would expect to have. And a government job coming out would not be bad to get you started afterwards. Teach math-most def could do that! Teach about environmental issues-most def could do that! Water treatment-most def could do that if you wanted. Sounds super good save the world child. remember to rely on God This Week!!! Love ya

Anonymous said...

That sounds TOOO KOOOOL!! Make your dreams come true. . . AND I'm glad your dreams continue to include Luke! Karen